"Oh I will make them cookies."
Making cookies is a "default gift" of mine.
In the past, if I wanted to make someone a gift to show appreciation, care, etc-
I often would bake cookies. The tried and true recipie.
Many parties, many holidays, many occasions-
these cookies have made an appearance.
In the past, if I wanted to make someone a gift to show appreciation, care, etc-
I often would bake cookies. The tried and true recipie.
Many parties, many holidays, many occasions-
these cookies have made an appearance.
But as I started to gather the ingredients it hit me...things have changed.
I am no longer that young girl who was delighted to make another batch for the people she loved.
Eager. Anticipating their delighted response.
No. Things happened.
And suddenly I sadly remembered this too was now part of the wreckage.
This too was lying among those ruins.
I am no longer that young girl who was delighted to make another batch for the people she loved.
Eager. Anticipating their delighted response.
No. Things happened.
And suddenly I sadly remembered this too was now part of the wreckage.
This too was lying among those ruins.
"Oh wait-cookies-I don't want to make these-never mind."
But as my heart sank, I heard a whisper.
"Make them with Me. Let's do this together. I'm here. I will hold your hand."
Reclaim this. Reclaim it as good! As mine/His/Ours.
I remembered the promise. He will help me pick it up from rubble and take it with me again
as something good.
I remembered. This is a part of my journey through the Valley of Sorrow to the Rivers of Joy.
This too was a stopping place. A piece of the ruins we had to pick up. He reminded me this was something good. Something to reclaim. Something He wanted to restore.
Something to take with me.
But the picking it up requires looking at the hard that's all over it and dusting it off.
And that is Hard.
But I heard the invitation. The gentle "Say yes. Trust me. I know. I see-I am the God who sees.
Let me hold your hand."
So we did. Together.
I started to measure, pour, mix, and bake.
Go through those familiar motions again. And as I did- I tiptoed into hard.
Peered in a little. I let myself remember a little. Even feel a little.
I texted a friend and shared a little. I listened to music.
I sat on the floor of the kitchen and cried a little. and prayed.

And somewhere in the middle of those memories and tears,
as the warmth and aroma of those cookies filled the kitchen,
He continued His work of filling my heart with His love and a little more healing began.
Yes again. Bundled up those cookies, and gave them away.
Over the next few days, some other related hard happened.
Through a sequence of events that only God could orchestrate,
He is leading me deeper down the path into the Valley.
We have much more to look at together. Much more He wants to show me.
Much more He wants to restore. Much more love and compassion He must want me to know.
And it is not an easy walk. But He keeps reminding me He is here. He holds my hand.
Yesterday as I listened to pandora to my surprise The Valley Song (by Jars of Clay) began to play.
Then this morning a dear friend sent me this.
Beauties in the weeds.
He will reclaim every hurt
and replace it with joy.
Every.
And then this verse came to me.
This verse has been a treasure to my heart in this journey,
but it seemed to sink even deeper as certain particular words jumped off the page today.
Isaiah 51:3
The Lord will surely comfort Zion
and will look with compassion on ALL her ruins;
he will make her deserts like Eden,
her wastelands like the garden of the Lord.
Joy and gladness will be found in her,
thanksgiving and the sound of singing.




No comments:
Post a Comment